How To Check If Your Business Name Was Already Taken
Selecting your business or brand name should be on a pedestal when starting a business. It’s definitely going to be your identity, and reflects your promise and brand values. Like what every entrepreneur is referring to, it always starts with a name.
But, how can you make sure that your business name idea is not yet registered or not yet taken by anyone else? How would you check if your attractive business name was not owned yet from another business entity?
First, you need to determine what type of business you’re going to start or build, check this article I wrote to go in-depth and support you on your decision making process about the business type you want to start going forward, I also added their registration requirements which you can read here.
Nonetheless, you can move on to this article if you already have your business type and want to check if your business name is still available for registration….
Sole Proprietorship Business Name Availability
- Open your laptop/desktop and check DTI’s e-Business Name Registration System (e-BNRS). The system will prompt you to their registration terms and conditions (screenshot below). On the bottom right corner of the screen, you have to click the button “I agree” to proceed (hint: you have to read carefully and understand the terms and conditions so, you can have a deeper understanding of the process and won’t deal with any headaches moving forward).
- You can now fill out the necessary fields under Propose Business Name (both under Business Scope and Business Name) and select “Check Name Availability”.
Corporation or Partnership Business Name Availability
- To confirm the availability of your business name idea, you need to register through the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Company Registration System (CRS). Creating an account is free and once you have your own account, you may log in and use the following inquiry features such as Search Application Requirements, and Search Registered Company Names. It also allows you to reserve your business name and registration. However, It does not mean that it was already approved after registration. Verifying your corporation’s proposed business name directly at the SEC office is still requisite.
Checking your business name to DTI and SEC is easy and simple. However, there are still a lot of aspiring business owners who fret because of lack of preparedness to make their business startup journey as successful as possible. So, here are some more useful tips we want to share to keep you moving to the right direction:
- Think of all the business names that you think relevant to your business niche, write it down on a piece of paper and then choose the best 3 business name ideas from those names you’ve come up with.
- Prepare those 3 business names on-hand. I think it safe to say that preparing not more than one will save you a lot of hassle if ever the name is unavailable.
- Google your business name. The goal here is to make sure that your business name is unique and does not display a lot of matches (especially within your target area or region) then re-evaluate your business name ideas.
- For added validation, you can go to your major social media platforms like Facebook and LinkedIn. Type in the business name ideas you have there in the in-app search functionality and check if the username or handle does not exist yet or does not have a strong online presence. You need to understand that every business today MUST have their own website and social media to increase the chance of success.
Nonetheless, there are still a lot of aspiring entrepreneurs, business owners and startup founders who find this one of the biggest pain points for their business journey. They normally go ahead without proper research, create their social media, and business without registering it to a proper government agency.
So when the problems came in like “unapproval of business name”, they are faced with a lot of problems of having to go back and do everything again from the start — worse, if it already in the growing phase but, was informed that they need to redirect their website url and social media accounts to another brand name.
By checking the availability of possible domain names and social media handles, you can create a business website and social media presence with a name that is attractive and unique for your business goals and brand values.
To confirm availability of your domain brand name, you can hire a team of marketers and innovators in the Philippines by visiting thinkdigitalph.com for top level domain extensions such as .com, .net, .online, .digital. In case you want to use a .ph extension, then you can contact them to make sure that your brand new name idea or a domain name is available.
With that being said, I hope all of these are the things that all you need to know when checking the availability of your business name. Always make sure to contact an expert to guide you, it does not hurt to ask. I hope that these tips will help you decide what brand name you’re going to use and set your business in a more successful route.
Want to talk to an expert?
To make sure you are on the right path with your business registration process you can contact our team at DJKA for your business needs, we are more than happy to help. Talk to us today for a free consultation!
Source: DTI, SEC, BNRS DTI, SEC CRS
- Graduated Income Tax Rate with Optional Standard Deduction (OSD) or 8% Income Tax Rate: Which one is Better for Small Business Owners
- How will the Voluntary Assessment and Payment Program (VAPP) Benefit Businesses
- 3 Major Tax Provisions of ‘Bayanihan 2’ That Every Business Owner Should Know
- What You Need to Know About SEC Memorandum Circular (MC) 28 Series of 2020
- How To Check If Your Business Name Was Already Taken